Na'vi-gation.

Sunday 24 November 2013

BFI Film Academy - November 23rd 2013

Today we met next door, in the Sheffield Live building. We met here because they had a room full of computers and it was The Day of Learning to Edit. Vanessa, who we knew from the previous days, spoke to us about editing, and taught us some of the principles of editing. These included editing in motion, and minor visual effects i.e. grading. We then started to try out editing with a partner, on some footage of Vanessa running for a bus. We decided to change the story through editing, and made it that Vanessa was running away from the bus, and the bus was running away from her. It was pretty deep.

After this, Rebecca sat down and went through all of the scripts with us, and gave us some feedback. This was my 2nd draft, which I was relatively happy with. I'm glad Rebecca went through them with us, because looking back, if this had been the finished version it would have been pretty poor. After she'd spoke to us about the scripts with us for a bit, we went to lunch. I sacrificed my lunch (And my weekly cake!), in order to improve my script as much as possible. I added a lot of annotations to the script so that I could go through it at home and make it better.

Towards the end of the day, the director Will and I went to look at the location that I'd got for us. It wasn't quite how I'd written it, so we had to quickly come up with a story that fit the location. It was, however, a pretty top notch location.

I learnt a lot about editing, but I don't think it was for me. It didn't hold my interest very much. I found the best part of the day was talking about the script and trying to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment