Na'vi-gation.

Monday 3 February 2014

Arts Award - Reviewing Arts Events (Gravity)

Gravity is a film like no other. I can't say I've seen many films that I could honestly say were completely different from anything I'd seen before. Gravity was an overwhelming experience, and one of my favourite films of 2013. I saw the film in 3D.

I'd heard all of the hype surrounding Gravity, but I for some reason wasn't hyped for it myself. I went to see it on a whim. I went into the cinema with no idea what to expect, having not even seen a trailer for it. I think that may have improved my viewing, not knowing what to expect. Whilst I thought the film was very tense and exciting, I would say that it would be more suited to slightly older teenagers and adults than children, as it was not a very conventional film. I would expect children to get slightly bored. I'd suggest that anyone aged 16+ would be able to enjoy this film.

Anyway, onto the review. We'll start with the cinematography - it's stunning. This is my favourite section of the film. Filled with super extreme long shots to emphasise how alone the main characters are. There are a lot of subtle things I noticed, such as how these establishing shots will be facing towards the Earth in scenes that reflect the characters' humanity, and out into the desolation of space when emphasising their loneliness. The whole first 17 minutes or so is all one continuous shot, and it is beautiful.

The sound is used to great effect too, building up tension by slowly building up the intensity of the music. And then abruptly cutting out, jarring you and reminding you of the unknown nature of space. The sound of breathing is also really significant in this film, as it is used to show when the characters are stressed. When they're stressed the breathing is fast, when they're calm the breathing is slow. It's a simple, yet brilliant little detail that just adds to the film.

The plot is the only slightly weak point in the film, and whilst I would say it's my least favourite part of the film, I don't think that matters. That's not what this film is about. It's supposed to be a very physical experience, and it was. I've never felt so immersed in a film, never so invested in a character. And Sandra Bullock's performance is really damn good.

Overall, a phenomenal film. I'd give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment